The rail bed, the chug-chug-chug and screeching whistle of the steam locomotives are long gone, but the Mill Creek Trestle Bridge endures as a remnant of the first railway to cross the North Saskatchewan River more than 100 years ago.
When its cornerstone was officially laid May 7th,1955, the Federal Public Building was acclaimed as a tribute to the trappers, pioneers and settlers whose zeal and vision established the first foundations of this community.
In a neighbourhood where the sound of progress the last 40 years has more often than not been the wrecking ball, it's remarkable that Oliver's historic apartment buildings have survived virtually intact.
The brick chimney stack just off Fort Road north of the Yellowhead Trail towers more than 30 metres (100-feet) above a barren field, a sentinel reminder of what was once one of the countrys most sophisticated packing plant buildings.
Built just after stock markets collapsed and in the early days of the Great Depression, the quaint house at 11220 62 Street survives as one of the few residences constructed in Edmonton during the 1930s.
Founded in 1911 as manufacturers of high-grade overalls, shirts and pants for settlers, miners and the working men in Western Canada, the Great Western Garment Company ended up operating for 93 years in Edmonton.
It was 20 years ago that Dave Robb, the editor and manager of Real Estate Weekly, agreed to let me write a regular column on heritage. “Do you think there are enough old buildings around to run it for a year or so?” Dave asked.
As the University of Alberta examines the feasibility of constructing student residences and a parkade over a chunk of North Garneau it calls the East Campus Village, the history of the imperilled neighbourhood is gaining new attention.
When King Edward School opened its doors to students March 9th, 1914, the Edmonton Bulletin newspaper was moved to note that its new shower baths "will be a novelty to many of the children, who never before saw hot water come down like rain."
Peggy O’Connor Farnell’s Glenora of the early 20th century was a magical place. “Goodness, it was the edge of town! There were no roads, no services and it was bush from our place west to 142nd Street.”
This year’s Edmonton Historical Board’s Recognition Awards, the 33rd annual, salute three individuals and a trio of organizations for their contribution to building the city and helping its citizens appreciate our precious heritage.
Built in three phases, in 1925, 1931 and 1946, St. Francis of Assisi Friary and St. Anthony’s College provide a physical connection to the Franciscans’ mission which started operations in Edmonton more than 100 years ago.
Few Edmonton buildings can match the history, the impact or the long record of service of the Prince of Wales Armoury. Built in 1914-15 on a 17-acre site as the Edmonton Drill Hall to meet the needs of the infantry,
Some of the most interesting trails of discovery writing this column every week begin with questions from readers. Like a query from Michelene Day, who wrote: Did you ever research an old building located on 97 Street and 107 Avenue?
There are thousands of them around the city, but we don’t think of them as historic or particularly remarkable. Yet, the buildings that were constructed during Edmonton’s largest boom of the 20th century,
The Edmonton Real Estate Weekly® is published every Thursday by the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton. It contains feature articles of general interest as well as real estate advertisements and listings for Edmonton and North-central Alberta. Cover to cover, each new issue is full of information for home buyers including open houses and the most recent new MLS property listings.